Sunday, October 13, 2019

48th annual Holiday Bazaar - Batesville



48th annual Holiday Bazaar
November 3, 2019
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Batesville, Indiana Primary School

I will have my books set up at the 48th annual Holiday Bazaar in Batesville, Indiana at the Batesville Primary School on Indiana State Road 46. 

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Sample Chapter - Short History of Indiana's Historic Markers - Atterbury Army Air Field

Sample Chapter
Short History of Indiana's Historic Markers 
Atterbury Army Air Field

Title of Marker:
Atterbury Army Air Field
Location:
In front of chapel at Middle Road and Grissom Avenue, Atterbury Army Air Field, Columbus (Bartholomew County, Indiana)
Installed by:
2007 Indiana Historical Bureau and Atterbury-Bakalar Air Museum
Marker ID #: 
03.2007.2
Marker Text: 
Side one:
Construction begun summer 1942 under Captain Stratton O. Hammon, who used broad authority over laborers, suppliers, and railroad; base in use February 1943. More than 1, 000 workers employed during construction. Base was over 2, 000 acres, cost over four million dollars, and included more than one hundred buildings, intended to be temporary.
Side two:
WW II uses included training B-25, B-26, and glider pilots; by 1944, wounded from Europe received here for Wakeman Hospital. Wounded soldiers during Korean War received here. Renamed 1954 to honor Lt. John Bakalar. Base closed 1970. Original building made into chapel; restored and named for Women's Air Service Pilot Jean Lewellen Norbeck 1990s.

Short History by the Author
The task of organizing the mammoth task of constructing the airfields needed to train 70,000 pilots annually fell to General of the Army and General of the Air Force Henry Harley "Hap" Arnold. He moved the responsibility of building air bases from the overburdened Quartermaster Corps to the U. S. Army Corps of Engineer. The Army had no plan for any of the bases, only a set of guidelines that followed General Arnold's concept of "Spartan" simplicity for the bases. There would be no frills or creature comforts at these bases. The buildings would be simple lumber and tar paper construction. These buildings were quite cold in winter and hot in summer. The hangers were of wood or concrete. The guidelines called for one secure hanger to hide the Norden bomb sight, which was top-secret. Atterbury's construction followed these guidelines during its construction. The United States, in the face of major war, needed a lot of air bases and it needed them fast. The site that Atterbury would occupy had been open corn fields. This land needed to be turned into a United States Army Air Field as quickly as possible.
The Atterbury-Bakalar Air Museum preserves the memory and history of this airfield. Located on site, the museum is a treasure trove of memorabilia, history and exhibits covering the Atterbury Army Air Field and Bakalar Air Base. For more information, contact:


Atterbury-Bakalar Air Museum
4742 Ray Boll Boulevard
Columbus, Indiana 47203
812-372-4356
abmuseum@att.net
http://www.atterburybakalarairmuseum.org/

Sample Chapter - Short History of Rivers, Streams and Lakes - Connecticut River

Sample Chapter
Short History of Rivers, Streams and Lakes
Connecticut River

Connecticut derives from the Mohegan Indian tribe’s word, quinetucket, which means “beside the long, tidal river." The 406 miles river flows through four states and is New England's longest river. Its source is in the Fourth Connecticut Lake near the Canadian border in New Hampshire.  During its course generally southwest, it feeds the Third, Second and First Connecticut Lakes. After its next destination, Lake Charles, it continues southwest until it reaches Stewartstown, New Hampshire, where it turns south to form the border between Vermont and New Hampshire. The White River joins it at White River, Vermont a few miles south of the Dartmouth College campus. Another major tributary, the West River, joins it at Brattleboro, Vermont. The Connecticut enters Massachusetts about ten miles south of this junction. It leaves Massachusetts a few miles south of Springfield Massachusetts and enters Connecticut. After passing through Hartford, the river enters the Atlantic Ocean south of Old Lyme, Connecticut.  27 towns in Vermont and 26 in New Hampshire border the river.
History
The broad fertile valley of the river drew several native tribes to its soils before European settlement. These tribes included the Pequots, Mohegan, Mattabesset and the Pocomtuc.
The Dutch
Dutch explorer Adriane Block is the first recorded European explorer to penetrate the Connecticut in 1614. Calling it the "Fresh River, he claimed it for the Dutch as part of the New Netherlands colony. The Dutch constructed Fort Huys de Hoop in 1623 at the current site of Hartford, Connecticut.
The Puritans
Puritan groups from the Plymouth colony began settling along the river beginning in 1635. The main settlements were Hartford, Springfield, Matianuck (now Windsor, Connecticut) and Wethersfield. Another Puritan group out of Cambridge, Massachusetts established Agawam Plantation, now Springfield, Massachusetts. The growing strength of the English colonies forced the Dutch out in 1664.
Industry
Colonists continued to flow into the area and many industries developed. Farms, gristmills and other industries developed. Sometime around 1865 logging drives of trees cut near the Third Connecticut Lake flowed downriver to saw mills in Wilder and Bellows Falls, Vermont. Thirteen dams along the river provide water and recreation for many of the residents that leave nearby.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Short History of Fire Fighting - Indiana Edition





Description
Publication Date to be Announced


Preview Chapter
Buy Direct from Author
Softbound Price - $

Other Books in the Series
Short History of Libraries, Printing and Language - Indiana Edition
Short History of Fire Fighting - Indiana Edition


Available In Multiple Formats - Ebook And Softbound:
Draft to Digital Universal Link
Kindle
Amazon Softbound
Playster
Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble - Softbound
Kobo
Google Play
Scribid
24 Symbols
Walmart Books
Apple


The Bookshelf
101 N Walnut St,
Batesville, IN 47006

(812) 934-5800
bookshelf101@hotmail.com
Wholesale Pricing Available
For more information, contact:
Mossyfeetbooks@gmail.com
Orders over $50.00 Free Shipping
Join Paul Wonning on:
Facebook
Twitter
Linkedin
YouTube
Pinterest

Paul Wonning's Books on Amazon Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Scribd Page
Paul Wonning's Books on Apple
Paul Wonning's Books on Kobo
Paul Wonning's Books on Barnes and Noble
Paul Wonning's Books on 24 Symbols
Paul Wonning's Books on Google Play
Paul Wonning's Books on Indigo
Paul Wonning's Books on Playster
Paul Wonning's Books on OverDrive
Search Paul Wonning on Ingrams
© 2019 Paul Wonning

Sample Chapter - Short History of Fire Fighting - Indiana Edition - McCormick's Creek Fire Tower

Sample Chapter
Short History of Fire Fighting - Indiana Edition
McCormick's Creek Fire Tower
Used as an active fire tower from its construction in 1935 until 1967, the McCormick's Creek Fire Tower now serves as a popular observation site for park visitors. Constructed by CCC Company #589, the tower is located on Trail 4 near the Park Office. The elevation of the land the tower sits in is 770 feet  above sea level. The eighty-six foot tall tower's lookout cab measures seven feet along each wall with windows containing nine panes on each wall. The National Historic Lookout Register registered the tower on November 12, 2008. The tower underwent an extensive renovation in 2017. The park has opened the tower to the public.  

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Preview Chapter - Short History of Gardening and Agriculture - Reaping Grain



Preview Chapter
Short History of Gardening and Agriculture
Reaping Grain 
Cradle Reaper
Also called the cradle scythe or grain cradle, this implement was an adaptation of the scythe. Developed sometime before 1800, the cradle reaper began to see widespread use between 1800 and 1840 in the United States. The cradle reaper consisted of a set of wooden finger shaped spokes attached to the handle of the scythe. The purpose was to catch the stalks of grain and keep them aligned when cut, to make it easier to tie the cut grain into shocks. The McCormick Mechanical Reaper eventually replaced it.
Mechanical Reaper
Several inventors toyed with devising a mechanical reaper during the Nineteenth Century, however it was Robert McCormick that first came up with a design for a working reaper in 1831. He was unable to perfect the device, so he asked his son John to improve it.